Josh Groban Italian Forum

Josh e la stampa, interviste ed interventi

« Older   Newer »
fedy
view post Posted on 19/8/2010, 19:20

Nemmeno io Mary.Non so davvero da dove diamine salti fuori.Dai suoi dvd no, dal fojg nemmeno, su youtube ed affini non ce n'è traccia.... :huh: Rimane un mistero :ph34r:

marypala
view post Posted on 19/8/2010, 20:33

non mi piacciono i misteri... :ph34r:
soprattutto se sitratta di josh...
:lol:

fedy
view post Posted on 19/10/2010, 22:13

Intervista con parte che mi ha fatto scapicollare verso l'aeroporto ....ma inutilmente <_<

Vabè non vi preoccupate, mi capisco da sola :D ...

www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-...dc41a78fab547,0

What is your current location? Didn't you recently move to NYC?

I am in New York, semi-permanently. I moved here last month. It's different.

There's a lot of noise to adjust to as part of the culture shock, huh?

If the noise was a problem, I'd not have moved here. I am the person who needs to sleep with a fan on at night, so a little noise is comforting, you know?

Did you know that Corey Taylor, the singer of Slipknot and Stone Sour, loves you!

The Slipknot guys are awesome. They are actually really cool guys and I think [Corey] wore a t-shirt of mine on stage as a joke and I have yet to reciprocate the favor. I need to wear a Slipknot t-shirt at one of my concerts.

Will you really adorn yourself with a Slipknot tee?

Hell yeah! I absolutely will. Fair is fair. I am loving the cross-species love there, between the two us.

So let's talk about the new album, Illuminations. Your voice is obviously the album's showpiece! I remember Henry Rollins once said something to the effect that Whitney Houston may have a powerhouse voice, but it doesn't move him an inch, suggesting that it lacked the "oomph." I don't get that "lack of oomph" with Illuminations. There is fire there.

Interesting. That's art. Different people are moved by different things. It's beauty and vastness. Somethings are based on chemical makeup or how we were raised, so different things move us in different ways. Whitney Houston might say the same thing about Henry Rollins not moving her an inch, but that doesn't mean they are both not brilliant.

Your voice is just so beautiful and emotive – how do you "get" to that place? Do you have to conjure memories to summon the emotion when you lay down your vocals?

I have a real connection to music. Even as a kid, I found music to be my best and most honest outlet. It was a language I could understand. I was too shy to make friends, but I could remember a melody if I heard it once. I could sit down with a piano and figure it out. It gave me that sense of understanding in a world of misunderstanding.

I do my warm ups so my voice in good shape, but going "there" emotionally and creatively? It is the song that I connect with; it has to hit me when I perform it. It's the song. I can't sing stuff that doesn't move me; I am not a good liar. That's the blueprint. It started with the piano and a dry vocal on this record. If it didn't move Rick or I, then it was not worth the bells and whistles being put on it. We didn't make real noise for a year. We blueprinted these songs. There wasn't the trap of too much self-satisfaction, which is so easy to fall into in the studio world. You get excited about a song and you are close to it, and you think, 'Wait till we throw bells and whistles on this' and you listen to it in the car for a week, thinking, 'This is the greatest thing I've ever done' and then you play it for someone…and it doesn't connect. You can't be like, 'If this only had those French horns on it, it'd be different.' That's a crutch. We were just playing melodies and lyrics. If Rick and I looked at each other, and didn't think, 'Wow, that's freaking awesome,' we didn't bother having it arranged.

Can you give us a good story about working with Rick Rubin? Any insight into the man who has worked with everyone from Slayer to Neil Diamond to the Beastie Boys? Since Justin Timberlake and Josh Groban couldn't be more different?

In the past, producers I worked with seemed, from a journalistic standpoint, to be 'right in the wheelhouse of what Josh does.' When I said I was working with Rick, people were scratching their heads. People were like, 'Wait, he hasn't worked with Celine Dion! What is Josh doing?' Rick happened naturally, unexpectedly and organically. We were introduced by a music friend, Guy Oseary, who said he could hook up a meeting. The idea was to get two people in a room and talk.

I am a huge rock and folk and country fan and I am a fan of Rick, sonically, like what he brings out. When a record has the Rick Rubin stamp, I know I am hearing the best record that artist has ever made. Keeping genres aside, I was intrigued how he gets records made.

He appears like he'd be an intimidating figure, with his long and furry beard and the glasses. There's a bit of a mystique to Mr. Rubin.

He is intimidating and you are left with the mythology if you don't see him. When I met him, I gave him a hug, and could see why so many artists love working with him. He is one of few guys in industry who has had all this success and worked with so many legends, but not one ounce of him has gone to the dark side of the industry. He is not thinking one bit cynically or commercially. He can do whatever he wants, but he still does things the 100 percent right way. That is so refreshing. He never did a record like mine so we decided to take the plunge together and go out of our comfort zones. It was a big risk for him to work with me and for me to work with him and we were both excited by that risk. It was not for money but the fact we were both interested in what each other did. Two years later, we made a record that would surprise people in how 'not different' it is. Rick made a Josh record!

What did he bring out of you that was new for you?

He liked the singing and orchestration on my other records, but he didn't like the fluff. We did things in one take, in the same room, recorded in same way that he did Neil [Diamond] or Johnny [Cash].

He produced Slipknot's Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses). He can probably get you that t-shirt!

That's true [laughs!] It's come full circle. I can guest on the next Slipknot record, since they could use one more drummer.

Who is a Josh Groban fan? A lot of people assume it's just mature women that buy your records. Is that a misconception? Can Illuminations attract a younger audience?

My fanbase is not just people who are knee deep in cats anymore! [Laughs] It is amazing to me. Here is the thing: I started out, with stuff on PBS and on Oprah, and I was on a lot of things that were geared towards older female audience, which is wonderful. I have such a wonderful fanbase and they have not gone anywhere, and thank God that they haven't! The more I've been comfortable, with having a mature voice and being a 29-year-old guy who happens to like this kind of music and exploring the classical element… at one point, I had to assume there are others out there like me and if I be myself, others will follow.

The last five years were a great time, doing what is exciting for me. I love meeting fans from all walks of life; I always want to keep the diehards and continue to expand my fanbase without alienating my fans. I am so proud of those fans that have been with me from the beginning. They created a community that he defied radio, critics and the MTV nation, by being grassroots. They make music fun for me.

Let's do a quick 'Josh's Guide to Listening to the Record.' Take us through like two of the songs you want fans to check out first.

"Higher Window." All the love songs are written in the grey area of love, where you experience great love and you are thinking cheesily, and all the sudden, the big love ballads make sense to you, after years of being cynical about them. I was not in a love song mood; I was in a mood for the imperfect moments. For me, it's not the happy ending, but about being undeniably magnetized in an imperfect situation.

On the opposite side of the scale is "War at Home." It came again from a trip to Walter Reade Hospital in DC, where I was talking to soldiers. Theirs is a struggle we ignore as a country -- the veterans who come home and fight battles for rest of their lives.

How was it appearing on Glee and will you make a return appearance?

We'll see. As everyone says, that's up to [creator] Ryan Murphy. It was fun to do it last year. I was playing myself, so the writers have to have a reason why I'd fly to a high school in Ohio. If they figure something out, it'd be a pleasure to do it again.

A lot of artists are refusing to let Glee use their music. What do you think about that? On one hand, it can put an artist on the pop culture map. On the other, the show is reaching such massive mainstream levels that might not gel with some artists with more "indie" mindsets.

The show has reached the pinnacle of pop stardom, which is not so rock 'n' roll, but even so, turning down Glee is like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Are you and Rick Rubin friends now?

We are great friends now. It's a real connection. It was a wonderful experience. When's the next one?

You also worked on a film with Steve Carrell. Are you comfortable with comedy?

I started in improv comedy and then got into serious singing. It's a fun movie. It's heartfelt and the script is incredible. I play Emma Stone's fiancée, which was not too shabby. They let me go loose and be funny and improvise and have fun. It's coming out next year and is called Crazy Stupid Love. Ryan Gosling and Julianne Moore are also in it. I have a couple of scenes.

What's it with all your big voices having comedy backgrounds? Michael Buble also has a comedic past.

Everyone has light and dark and it's always fun for the opportunity.

marypala
view post Posted on 20/10/2010, 22:11

I am the person who needs to sleep with a fan on at night

è per questo che ti sei precipatata all'aereoporto fedy???
:eheh:

fedy
view post Posted on 21/10/2010, 15:26

Perspicace groban sorella Mary, mooolto perspicace ;) !!!
Al ventilatore sinceramente non avevo pensato <_<
:D

marypala
view post Posted on 22/10/2010, 22:01

Josh is on the cover of this week's Billboard Magazine. In the issue he gives a candid interview discussing everything from working with Rick Rubin on Illuminations, performing live and more. Read the interview and pick up a copy of the magazine available on newsstands now.

http://www.billboard.com/features/josh-gro...25.story?page=1

fedy
view post Posted on 23/10/2010, 11:29

"What's a nice boy like Josh Groban doing messing around with these guys"
LOLLISSIMO :lol:

'Naggia ora vado di corsa, la leggerò stasera con più calma ^_^

Gracias Mary ;)

fedy
view post Posted on 30/10/2010, 11:00

Nuovo articolo veramente molto interessante

www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/...0,7275730.story

Parla anche brevemente della sua relazione con January ... chi l'avrebbe mai detto :blink: pensavo fossero due colombi innamorati ai tempi e invece... :ph34r:

Edited by fedy - 30/10/2010, 12:22

fedy
view post Posted on 2/11/2010, 14:06

Questa l'intervista uscita sulla rivista "Go"

http://joshgrobanfrance.com/2010/11/02/nov...ine-of-airtran/

La leggerò con più calma stasera.

YOU WENT IN A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DIRECTION WITH THE NEW ALBUM BY HAVING RICK RUBIN PRODUCE IT.
“Yeah, we were a bit of an odd couple when we started. We wound up meeting and having a long talk and it happened very naturally. It got to the point where I was writing a lot, and we started clicking so much on what we wanted to do as a project that he said, ‘Let’s do the whole record together.’”

WAS IT SCARY LEAVING THE RECORD IN THE HANDS OF SOMEONE OTHER THAN YOUR MENTOR, DAVID FOSTER?
“It was terrifying. I was leaving my comfort zone. But at the same time, I trusted him so completely that, even with the frustrations of the album taking a long time, I knew that there was a light at the end of the tunnel. It was about two and a half years in the making. Rick is very picky — as he should be — about making sure that songs are A-list all the way. His way of saying it is, ‘This either sounds special or it sounds ordinary.’ Nothing ordinary was allowed.”

WHAT WAS THE CREATIVE PROCESS LIKE?
“Rick gives you the greatest gift that he can as a producer, which is actual responsibility. A lot of time is spent by yourself mulling over what you want to say, what you want to write, what you want to do. I think it’s important in the artist/producer relationship to have that separation time — to really feel like you’re on your own. You don’t want somebody holding your hand all the way because then it’s not entirely yours. One of the frustrating things, but one of the greatest gifts he gave me, was the chance to really feel a bit stranded in the best possible way.”

HOW DID THIS APPROACH DIFFER FROM FOSTER’S?
“David Foster is — and he would readily admit this — someone who likes to have a huge amount of say and control. He’s like a modern-day Mozart. The problem is when you have that much control as a producer, you can’t help but put your stamp on something, whether it’s the artist’s vision or not. I think that David and I have such a great working relationship, almost a father-son musical relationship, that it’s easy to get too comfy and rest on your laurels a little bit. It was nice to be scared again.”

DID YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT THE ALBUM?
“I’ve had a huge fear of failure in whatever capacity it is. Going in to make this record, people were saying, ‘Are you kidding me? This is not your world, get out of it.’ The worst moments for me in the last couple of years were sitting back and hearing something that we’d done together and going ‘maybe this isn’t right after all.’ That frustration winds up turning into ‘no, make it right.’ There’s something good about the fear.”

YOU CO-WROTE 11 SONGS, WHICH WAS QUITE A DEPARTURE FOR YOU.
“Part of the responsibility Rick gave me was to write and write and write. We cut 15 covers, one after another, and some of them sounded really nice. He said, ‘I’d be perfectly happy to record an album with some of these great covers… but if you want to beat that, go write.’ It was my challenge to make songs that were more personal. But I’ve got a couple of covers.”

ONE OF THE MORE PERSONAL SONGS IS “BELLS OF NEW YORK CITY.” WHY IS NEW YORK SUCH AN INSPIRATION?
“I definitely feel more like myself when I’m there. There’s a spontaneity, where you walk home at night and you’re enriched in some way. You met a person, or you had a conversation with someone, or you found an art gallery. I don’t know as many people in New York, but it doesn’t matter. I feel alive when I’m there. And I had just been talking to [songwriter] Dan Wilson about New York and what’s great about it. He said, ‘That’s neat; let’s riff on that and make a love song to New York.’ We wanted to do it in a way that wasn’t cheesy, but we wanted to make it melancholic and have the visceral reaction of how I actually feel when I’m in the city during the fall/winter.”

SHIFTING GEARS TO THE COVERS, WHAT MADE YOU INCLUDE “STRAIGHT TO YOU” BY NICK CAVE?
“That was an oddball choice — Rick’s choice. I love Nick Cave. It took a long time to figure out the right balance with a song like that — not to get too bombastic. We found this happy medium, where now it’s this really interesting orchestral piece and the lyrics are so powerful, poignant, and esoteric in a great way. We cut it live with a 60-piece orchestra.”

SINCE YOUR CAREER BEGAN, IT’S NO SECRET YOU’VE BEEN BELOVED BY MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN. WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THAT?
“It’s been an easy stereotype, a tongue-in-cheek joke. Anybody who’s been to any of my shows knows it’s really across the board. The biggest middle-aged lady craze started with my earlier music, when I was 17, 18, 19 years old. I started very commercial. I started as a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed kid with a big voice who was kind of thrown into a very organized and old-school system that then drew a very old-school kind of audience. And I was so naïve at that point. I was such a sheltered kid that I didn’t view it as a romantic thing. I was like, ‘Look at these lovely people; they really like my music; I’m so grateful to have these fans.’ And that’s primarily how I still view it.”

WHAT MAKES YOU CONFIDENT THAT YOUR OLD FANS WILL LIKE THE NEW ALBUM?
“I’m a different person now… but I’m not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. I’m not going to make the mistake that I’ve seen other artists make, which is the whole ‘this is me now.’ And they actually go away from who they are. They’re just making a statement. I’ve never been out to make a statement. Rick and I said in the beginning that we’re not trying to prove anything. I know people think this is gimmicky, but all we want to do is make the most beautiful and honest music we can.”

DO YOU EVER FEEL FRUSTRATED WITH THE WAY THE PUBLIC PERCEIVES YOU?
“Of course. You feel frustrated mainly because you say to yourself, ‘I’ll slip some day.’ Somebody’s going to hear me say the f-word in public. Somebody’s going to catch me drunk at some bar, and unlike the guy with the bad-boy image, they’re going to knock you off your pedestal and say ‘how could you?’ when in fact we’re all human beings. And I think fans would be surprised to hear that I have a love life or that I go out and party with my friends. Fans tend to view you as above human. I’m out here to make music. I’m not out here for fans to know whether I pick my nose or whether I date this person or that person. I don’t feel it’s any of their concern and none of their business. We’ve become such a TMZ nation now that it’s almost like an entitlement. People feel like, ‘How dare you not tell us who you’re dating or that you picked your nose on Sunday.’”

YET YOU’RE A BIG FAN OF TWITTER. HOW COME?
“I love Twitter [because] you can control it. Twitter is actually a fun way to be provocative in 140 characters or less. There’s a lot to be said for brevity. There’s a vibe to Twitter that allows you to be different than you would be on a blog or on a song. For me, when I’m feeling a certain way and I’ve got a chance to say it in a small space, I find myself to be much more poignant. It also gives me a chance to be fun and more casual.”

DO YOU THINK IT’S A WAY FOR PEOPLE TO GET TO KNOW THE “REAL” YOU?
“People view me as a really formal guy. I’m formal about my music, but I’m not formal as a human being. It gives me a chance to be silly and show the other side a little. When you’re on a talk show, you get three and a half minutes to sing. You don’t go do the interview and then show a clip of your movie. You’re performing, and that’s it. As somebody who doesn’t really do that many interviews, sometimes it’s hard for people to understand who you are. They develop this image of you based solely on the songs. That’s only half of an artist.”

38 replies since 22/10/2007, 15:32   1510 views