Josh Groban Italian Forum

Articolo su Napa Valley Register.com, 22 luglio 2012

« Older   Newer »
:-)_anto
view post Posted on 24/7/2012, 23:13

Josh Groban sings his way into the hearts of festival crowd
L. PIERCE CARSON

Once you’ve spent a bit of time listening to and observing Josh Groban, it’s easy to see why the young entertainer has sold more than 25 million recordings worldwide.
Groban is a 31-year-old California native who’s helping shape the world of music. His classical voice combines with unbridled energy, ingratiating personality and the appeal of a rock star to provide listeners with a refreshing alternative to Top 40 fare. With a crossover style that combines classical, pop and light rock, Groban brings together enchanting romantic, often dramatic classical pieces — in English, Italian, Spanish and French — set to some of the loveliest arrangements you’ll come across today.
His fans are both legion and loyal. For his Napa Valley debut at the Robert Mondavi Summer Music Festival on Saturday night, one family flew in from Norway, telling all who’d listen this was their 18th Josh Groban concert. Another couple — that the headliner brought up on stage to serenade up close and personal — drove in from Carson City, Nev. They were among 1,600 fans crammed onto the winery’s lawn for a really terrific show.

Not only was the weather ideal for this finale to the 43rd concert season, the event was an obvious lovefest, not only between headliner and audience but with the festival’s parent company. On several occasions, it was noted Groban and the Robert Mondavi Winery will team up for a promotional effort once a new recording being worked on at present is released next February.

But then who wouldn’t want to be associated with, hang out with, listen to or just ogle this talented young heartthrob? Not only is he a great vocalist and first-rate pianist, Groban is fresh, funny, friendly, and, well, fabulous. In addition to his amazing vocal talent, he’s a marvelous storyteller, whether it’s a self-deprecating, spill-the-beans sort of tale, or a yarn or two about family, friends and musical cohorts. And when he makes mistakes — although I bet he rarely does — he’s not afraid to call attention to himself with a profane slip of the tongue (even with his parents in the audience).
Casually clad in white shirt, black jeans and Adidas, Groban bounded onto the lawn stage shortly after 8 Saturday night and sat down at the piano to accompany himself on “Changing Colors,” one of the songs from his iTunes “Live from Soho” EP. Throughout the evening he and keyboardist Mark Stephens traded positions on the piano bench.
Groban’s repertoire for his 80-minute show ran the gamut of material written with Five for Fighting’s John Ondrasik (“February Song”) to a David Foster song from the first CD he said he hadn’t performed in quite some time, the haunting Italian “Gira con Me.”
The set list included songs from other pop/rock stars — Neil Young (“Harvest Moon”) and Neil Diamond (“Play Me”) — as well as a pair that address historical figures, “Vincent” and “Galileo.”

Groban displayed his talent for doing impressions of others and that he’s pretty quick on his feet. “Is this heaven,” he asked rhetorically at the outset of the performance, “or is that just the 2008 reserve cabernet sauvignon talking?”

Sung in Spanish, “Un Dia Llegara” from his third recording, “Awake,” displayed the artist’s exceptional baritone voice, while a ballad from his favorite musical, “Sweeney Todd” — “Not While I’m Around” — showed Groban at his most tender moment.
Backed as well by guitarist Tariqh Akoni and mandolinist Rich Spillberg, the artist sang material from all of his CDs, save for the holiday one, reserving the enduring Tin Pan Alley classic, “Smile,” for a very memorable encore.
Josh Groban is as likable as a teddy bear and as welcome as an ice cream cone on a warm summer day. His warm, mellifluous voice wraps around all manner of lyrics in a number of romantic languages, providing listeners nothing less than sheer joy.
Groban’s show was a fitting close to the Mondavi season and, although it might sound trite, the folks in charge at Mondavi did indeed save the best for last.
Maybe with this new association between Groban and Mondavi, we’ll get to see him in Oakville once a year. We should be so lucky.

Talk of the future
Josh Groban is taking most of 2012 to work on a sixth recording, due out by Valentine’s Day next year.
However, he’s also proven to be one of the best and brightest entertainers consistently asked to guest co-host “Live with Kelly,” ABC-TV’s morning talk show, hosted by Kelly Ripa following the departure of longtime partner Regis Philbin.
Asked prior to taking the stage if he would consider accepting the co-host post should it be offered by Ripa and the show’s producers, Groban said it would be “tempting, but I’d rather travel the world ... with my music ... music is 100 percent ... it’s music first.”
He’s focused at present on the new recording, working with producer Rob Cavallo, currently chairman of Warner Bros. Records. “The last recording (‘Illuminations’) was rather intimate, maybe Rubenesque. Once it was released, we went out and did 90 shows. The energy from those shows was so intoxicating ... so I am trying to match that energy with something that’s as lush as it is dynamic ... to show the full range of my voice and be fun as well.”

Groban said he’s not doing a lot of concerts this year, noting that he performed recently at Walt Disney Concert Hall and now at the Mondavi festival. Both events will benefit Groban’s Find Your Light Foundation, a charity established by the entertainer to help ensure that every child has the opportunity to experience a quality arts education.
During his performance Saturday night, Groban told the audience his goal is to “bring arts programs back to the kids. ... Having that educational foundation made me the person that I am today.”
While he spends about half of every year in California, Groban said he also lives in New York City. “I just love the food and wine scene there.”

A tasty opener
Nuevo flamenco guitarist Russ Hewitt brought his tasty smooth jazz to the Mondavi stage for the first time Saturday, opening the season finale for headliner Groban.
The Texas native offered a vibrant 30-minute set of Latin-infused jazz that ranged from exotic melodies to makes-you-want-to-get-up-and-dance music.
Backed by bassist Bob Parr, guitarist Daniel Rodriguez and drummer Rob Humphreys, Hewitt delighted the receptive crowd with a fusion of flamenco-style and jazz themes, ranging from the catchy “Lydia,” a hit from his first CD, to a piece that proved as agreeable as a “Pacific Sunrise.”
A multiple Grammy Award nominee, Hewitt proved to be the ideal jazzman for a warm summer night. I can’t wait to listen to his CDs.

Fonte: napavalleyregister.com

0 replies since 24/7/2012, 23:13   67 views